All Nurses and Midwives need to revalidate every 3 years in order to maintain their registration with the NMC.
- 450 practice hours OR 900 if revalidating as both a nurse and midwife
- 35 hours CPD including a minimum of 20 hours participatory learning
- Five pieces of practice related feedback
- Five written reflective accounts
- Reflective discussion
- Confirmation with an approved confirmer
- Log on to your NMC online account and submit your revalidation
Revalidation promotes good practice across the whole population of nurses and midwives. It is NOT an assessment of a nurse or midwife's fitness to practice.
Portfolios and Templates
How we can help
As part of revalidation, you are required to complete 35 hours of continuing professional development. Suggested CPD activities include:
- Reading and reviewing publications
- Enquiry based research
The Knowledge and Library Service subscribes to over 2400 journals online and can help you find the necessary evidence you need.
In addition we offer the following services, training and facilities: (Click on the headings for more information)
- Books. The library has a range of books on evidence-based practice and reflective writing.
- Literature searching. We can train you to do your own or we can do them for you.
- Training. We offer training in literature searching and using our online resources.
- Current awareness. We offer support to keep you up to date using bulletins, alerts and twitter.
- Specialty resources. Subject guides on various specialties.
- IT facilities. Access your electronic portfolio using computers in our IT suite and scan documents in the library.
We have also produced the following information sheets to support your revalidation: